Introducing NAMI Moves!
We’re excited to introduce a new NAMI CCNS pilot program – NAMI Moves; a weekly running/walking mental health support program!
You may have heard that exercise and physical activity are good for your mental health. In some cases it may be as effective as medication.* Have you wanted to start running but are intimidated, don’t know where to start, or just need some extra encouragement? Maybe you’re a life long runner, but want some comradery or to connect with others who are recovering from mental health conditions? All fitness levels will be covered.
NAMI Moves is part support group and part fitness group. It is a peer-led support group for adults working on mental health recovery and looking to add physical activity to their recovery. It is geared to all fitness levels.
How is NAMI Moves Structured?
- Meets weekly for 60 – 90 minutes, depending on how long you want to run. The location has paved trail loops and the distance can be extended.
- The first 15-20 minutes will be introductions and a program overview.
- There will be two pace groups each lead by a peer. A faster group (8-10 minute per mile pace) and a run/walk group that (11-15 minute per mile). We’ll keep it at a comfortable pace that allows for conversation.
- There is no need to register – just come when you feel like you want someone to talk to or want to run/walk to help with recovery.
- NAMI Moves does not recommend or endorse any medications or other medical therapies.
- The groups are led by trained individuals who are in recovery themselves or have helped others recover. They understand your daily challenges and can offer you encouragement and support.
- All groups are confidential – you can share as much or as little personal information as you feel comfortable with.
- A NAMI Moves Facebook group will be available for participants. You can use that group to organize self-guided group run/walks on days that NAMI Moves does not meet.
Who can attend?
All adults with mental illness, regardless of diagnosis. Everyone is a valued participant.
Join us for our next run and talk to someone who understands … someone just like you.
When and where?
- Kick-off Wednesday, May 16 at 6pm
- As a pilot program this will run every Wednesday for 8 weeks. If the pilot is successful it will be extended beyond 8 weeks.
- Independence Grove, Libertyville, IL – North Bay Pavilion
- Rain or shine, with the exception of severe weather
*We do not advocate for using exercise in place of medications or other treatment. Consult with your healthcare provider before making any changes to treatment.