May is Mental Health Month and how is Congress celebrating? By trying to decimate mental health coverage in America.
This week, there is a vote expected in the House on the amended American Health Care Act (AHCA). If this bill passes, millions of Americans will lose mental health coverage or be charged moresimply because they have a mental health condition.
How does Congress’ health care bill affect mental health?
- The AHCA will strip over $800 billion from Medicaid over the next 10 years, forcing states to slash mental health services.
- 24 million Americans will lose insurance for mental health care.
- Allows states to:
- Drop coverage of mental health and substance use (one of the essential health benefits) from insurance plans
- Charge people higher premiums if they have a pre-existing condition, like depression or anxiety.
- Create high-risk pools, which are another way of charging people with mental illness more money and providing less coverage