Dr. Norman Segal, a popular and well established pediatrician in the Chicago Northwest suburbs, presented a talk at the Des Plaines Public Library on February 13, 2019 to a capacity crowd. Tackling the subject of ADHD is no easy jest, however Dr. Segal gave the audience insight that left them empowered with the keys to successful ADHD treatment.
If you have a child with ADHD, you know that ADHD often co-occurs with other mental health disorders, which can be a daunting task for a family to handle. Judy Graff and Dr. Segal had prepared a question and answer format to cover the areas that were most beneficial. Here they are:
What are the Keys to Successful ADHD Treatment?
- Individualized care of every patient is paramount, as each patient may have different responses to medications and other treatments.
- The physician needs to know what is working and what isn’t. In what circumstances do symptoms appear and what other behaviors are present?
- The physician needs to spend time getting to know the client/patient and to take a detailed history and get feedback from multiple sources.
- The relationship of the client/patient and the physician is the linchpin to successful treatment of ADHD.
A Unique Perspective on ADHD
- ADHD is not always negative! Dr. Segal presented a unique perspective on ADHD as he has embraced his own lived experience with this disorder and acknowledges the positive aspects of having this disorder in his life.
- Doctor / Patient RelationWhen a doctor is able to closely relate to the patient, the rates for successful ADHD treatment are much higher.