Planned gifts are donations made to NAMI Cook County North Suburban as part of your overall financial or estate plan created during your lifetime that will take effect at or after your passing. With a little forethought and planning, you can make a transformative gift to the organization without affecting your current lifestyle or your family’s security.
Benefits of Planned Giving
- Making a larger charitable gift than you thought possible
- Reducing your income taxes and estate taxes
- Leaving a legacy without giving up the use of your assets during your life
- Satisfaction in knowing that your legacy will make a difference in the lives of others who live with mental illness
Join the Tree of Life Society
NAMI Cook County North Suburban created the Tree of Life Society to recognize the generosity of individuals and families who have made or provided for planned gifts to NAMI CCNS. When you become a member of the Society you create a legacy of caring for individuals and families living with mental illness that continues forever. You will also inspire others to give generously.
There is no minimum amount required to join the Tree of Life Society, just a simple promise to remember NAMI CCNS as a component in your legacy gifts. Your generous gift will help insure the long-term stability we need to continue to give help and hope to individuals living with mental illness, either their own or a loved one’s.
Planned Giving Options
To leave a lasting legacy to NAMI CCNS , please consider the following planned giving options:
- Legacy Gifts (Bequests): You name NAMI CCNS as a future beneficiary through your Will, Living Trust, or as the beneficiary of your retirement plan or life insurance policy. You can either designate a specific dollar amount or a percentage of your estate.
- Retirement Plan Designations: You name NAMI CCNS as a future beneficiary in your IRA, 401(k), or 403(b) retirement plan.
- Beneficiary Designations:
- Payable on Death (P.O.D.) Accounts: You name NAMI CCNS as future beneficiary of a bank account, such as a checking, savings or money market account, Certificate of Deposit (CD) or US Savings Bond.
- Transfer on Death (T.O.D.) Accounts: You name NAMI CCNS as a future beneficiary of a non-retirement investment account, such as stocks, bonds, and brokerage accounts.
- Life Insurance Policies: You name NAMI CCNS the beneficiary of your life insurance policy.
- Real Estate: You make a gift of all or a portion of your property, such as your primary residence or vacation home, to NAMI CCNS through an outright deed or through a bequest provision.
- Charitable Remainder Trusts: You transfer cash or property to an irrevocable charitable trust. The trustee sells your property tax-free and provides you, or another beneficiary, with a fixed (Annuity Trust) or variable (Unitrust) income for life or a set term. At the trust’s termination or upon death, the trust assets transfer to NAMI CCNS.
- Charitable Lead Trusts: You contribute property to an irrevocable charitable trust. The trustee sells your property tax-free and makes annual income payment to NAMI CCNS during your lifetime or a set period of years. At the end of the term, the trust property is distributed back to you or to your heirs. This provides annual support to NAMI CCNS now, removes assets from your taxable estate and passes an asset to your heirs with little or no tax.
You can help create a lasting legacy
NAMI CCNS undoubtedly has positively affected your life in some way, whether through support groups, education, advocacy or simply the fellowship of talking with other individuals, parents or families living with mental illness. With a simple gift that does not burden you during your lifetime, you can provide hope and recovery for future generations.
If you are planning a gift:
- Please seek the advice of your accountant, financial and/or legal adviser to assist you in determining what type of gift best suits your personal and financial circumstances.
- Please use our legal name: _____________________________
- Contact the NAMI CCNS office
If you have made a gift:
Thank you for the trust you have placed in NAMI CCNS.
- Please download and our Letter of Intent document, print out, sign and call Sue Ockerlund at: 847-716-2252 or email it to email@example.com. This provides a way for us to recognize and thank you during your lifetime and ensure that your wishes are properly documented. The Letter of Intent shall affirm a commitment to NAMI CCNS but is not legally binding on your estate.